UK

Prince Philip to step down from carrying out royal engagements

The Duke of Edinburgh is retiring from royal duties this autumn, Buckingham Palace has announced.The decision was made by Prince Philip himself and is supported by the Queen, a palace spokesman said.The duke, who turns 96 next month, will attend previously scheduled engagements between now and August but will not accept new invitations.

The Queen “will continue to carry out a full programme of official engagements”, the palace said.

The duke carried out 110 days of engagements in 2016.

Prince Philip on 3 May

He is patron, president or a member of more than 780 organisations and will continue to be associated with them, but “will no longer play an active role by attending engagements”, Buckingham Palace said.

In the statement, the spokesman said the duke “may still choose to attend certain public events from time to time”.

The duke attended Lord’s Cricket Ground to open a new stand on Wednesday and was He was heard joking at the event that he is the “world’s most experienced plaque unveiler”.

On Thursday, he and the Queen are due at a service for members of the Order of Merit at the Chapel Royal at St James’s Palace before hosting a lunch for those attending.

The duke and the Queen celebrate their 70th wedding anniversary in November.

Related Reads:

Buckingham Palace: Queen Elizabeth II calls royal staff from across UK for emergency meeting

Advertisements

0 comments on “Prince Philip to step down from carrying out royal engagements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: