Middle East Saudi Arabia Videos

Saudi Arabia’s defence force intercepts ballistic missile fired from Yemen -Video shows by seconds before interception

Video below shows by seconds & meters, Saudi intercepting missile from Yemen on Saturday 4th Nov 2017

 

Saudi Arabia’s air defence forces intercepted a ballistic missile fired from Yemen over the capital Riyadh on Saturday, state news agencies reported.

The missile was brought down near King Khaled Airport on the northern outskirts of the city and did not cause any casualties, state-owned Al Ekhbariya TV said.

Rocket fragments fell near the airport grounds, but air traffic carried on normally, the civil aviation authority said on its official Twitter account.

Residents of northern Riyadh reported hearing a single deafening explosion that rattled windows, followed by rumbling and sounds of low-flying aircraft.

“We heard an enormous loud boom and went outside, then heard a low rumbling noise like thunder and six to 12 smaller explosions,” one resident said.

The missile was fired into Saudi territory from Yemen about 8pm, the spokesman of a Saudi-led military coalition said in a statement read by state news agency SPA.

Houthi-run Saba News in Yemen reported the missile was a Burkan H2 and that the airport had been the target.

The Saudi-led coalition has launched thousands of air strikes against the Iran-allied Houthi movement that controls much of neighbouring Yemen.

Earlier this week, a suspected airstrike by the Saudi-led coalition killed at least 29 people, including children, in northern Yemen.

On Wednesday, witnesses said one such strike killed 26 people at a hotel and adjoining market in northern Yemen, although the coalition said on Saturday it had hit a legitimate target.

Saudi Arabia accuses Iran of training and helping arm the rebels. Iran denies that it has provided material support, though it acknowledges its political support of the Houthis.

The US, which is one of the kingdom’s most important military suppliers, has backed the Saudi-led coalition with logistical support.

Trump blames Iran, praises military technology

Responding to the attack, US President Donald Trump immediately put some of the blame on Iran.

“A shot was just taken by Iran, in my opinion, at Saudi Arabia. And our system knocked it down,” Mr Trump said, referring to the Patriot missile batteries Saudi Arabia has purchased from the US.

“That’s how good we are. Nobody makes what we make and now we’re selling it all over the world.”

Iranian state media and officials did not immediately respond to Mr Trump’s remarks.

News outlet Al-Masirah said the missile launched Saturday evening was made in Yemen and was the third to be fired toward Riyadh this year.

It reported the rebels saying the missile was fired in response to “Saudi-American aggression and crimes against the people of Yemen.”

The Houthi and allied forces loyal to former Yemeni President Ali Abdullah Saleh have fired dozens of missiles into Saudi territory over the course of a two-and-a-half year war, including a ballistic missile shot down near Mecca in July.

The conflict has led to one of the world’s worst humanitarian crises and killed at least 10,000 people.

Advertisements

0 comments on “Saudi Arabia’s defence force intercepts ballistic missile fired from Yemen -Video shows by seconds before interception

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: