Public Security Minister retired Rear Admiral Sarath Weerasekara says cabinet has granted approval to his proposal to ban face covers.
Minister has proposed the cabinet last month to ban Burqa and Niqab.
In a post in his Facebook today the minister said, cabinet has granted approval to ban “face covers” preventing identification.
On March 13, Minister Weerasekara had announced that he had signed the cabinet paper on the proposed ban.
He further said at the time that the paper has been submitted to the Cabinet for approval.
The Government had thereafter said a decision on the matter will be taken only after proper consultation with relevant stakeholders.