The Civil Aviation Authority on Wednesday (30) confirmed that the decision NOT to allow passengers from several Gulf countries to disembark in Sri Lanka has been reversed subject to conditions.
Passengers from Qatar, United Arab Emirates, Saudi Arabia, Oman, Bahrain, Kuwait MUST undergo a PCR test at a laboratory approved by the Sri Lankan Embassy in the respective country or at a laboratory approved by the respective country or the airline.
The airline counter will inspect the certificate for its authenticity and upon arrival, the passengers will be moved to quarantine.
Sri Lankan authorities had banned passengers from six Middle Eastern countries with effect from 1st July 2021.
The Tourism Ministry said that all online and offline airlines have been directed that passengers with a travel history in the past 14 days to Qatar, United Arab Emirates, Saudi Arabia, Oman, Bahrain and Kuwait will not be permitted to disembark in Sri Lanka with effect from 0001hrs on 1st July 2021.
Full statement by Director General of the CAASL Capt. Themiya Abeywickrama:
To All ONLINE AND OFFLINE AIRLINES
Subject: Removal of restrictions for arrivals from Middle Eastern Countries subject to certain conditions.
I refer to my directive dated 28th June 2021, imposing restrictions on 6 Middle Eastern countries.
In according with instructions received from the Ministry of Health and the National Operations Centre for Prevention of COVID-19 Outbreak (NOCPCO) the passenger restriction on the following 6 Countries (Qatar, Oman, Bahrain, United Arab Emirates, Saudi Arabia, Kuwait) is revoked with immediate effect on the following conditions:
• All arriving passengers must have a negative PCR Test obtained within 96 hours prior to departure. Airline to ensure this before boarding passengers.
• Antigen tests cannot be accepted as a pre-departure test for boarding.
• PCR test must be presented from a Government approved hospital/laboratory in the respective Country with a QR Code/Bar Code.
• Airlines must satisfy themselves of the authenticity of the test reports presented by the passengers.
• Passengers are permitted to arrive only for Hotel Quarantine or through the Sri Lanka Tourism Bio-Bubble Route.
The above conditions will apply until further notice.