- Three dead, nine injured after shooting on tram in Utrecht, according to city’s mayor
- Turkish-born Gokmen Tanis, 37, wanted by police
- Security stepped up at schools, mosques and transport hubs
Three people have died and nine have been injured in a shooting on a tram in the city of Utrecht in the Netherlands.
Dutch security forces were hunting for Gökmen Tanis, a 37-year-old Turkish man suspected of having shot several people on a tram on Monday, in what authorities said appeared to be a terrorist attack.
The Utrecht police said the shooting occurred at 10.45 AM, in a tram at the city’s 24 October Square station.
Netherlands Counter-Terrorism Agency head Pieter-Jaap Aalbersberg declined to comment on the number of injured or what condition the victims were in.
Dutch Prime Minister Mark Rutte said he was “deeply concerned” and that an emergency response meeting had been convened.
The terrorism threat level has been raised to 5, the highest level, exclusively for the province of Utrecht until 6PM CET tonight, the Dutch counter-terrorism agency has said, adding that the perpetrator of the attack is “on the run”.
Security at schools, transport hubs and mosques was tightened. For the time being, “the shooting in Utrecht has all the characteristics of a terrorist attack”, the Dutch counter-terrorism agency has said on their website.
“Several shots were fired in a tram and several people were injured. Helicopters are at the scene and no arrests have been made,” said police spokesman Joost Lanshage.
Authorities have asked people to stay away in order to not hinder emergency services and said that three trauma helicopters have been deployed.